The Quinlan Memorial Conservation Lands
A Sustainable Forest Partnership with the Monson Conservation Commission
In 1945, the Quinlan Family purchased this property which at the time was a small farm. There were fields and pastures with woodlands on the steepest slopes. The farm was abandoned around 1970 and the fields and pastures reverted to woods.
Today, this property comprises 139 wooded acres within a large forest block in the northwest corner of Monson. These woods have long been a conservation priority for the town. The land is located along a scenic, rural road. Its terrain gently rises to the east and terminates at a high point that provides western views of rolling hills, ponds and wetlands. There is a small unnamed stream on the southeastern portion of the property.
Firewood has been harvested over the years and some timber has been cut in the last 10 years throughout the 139 acres using a forest management plan. The Quinlan Memorial Conservation Lands are open to the public for passive recreation such as hiking, snowshoing, cross country skiing and birdwatching. There are logging roads on the property that serve as excellent walking paths and Opacum is now exploring, with the Town, developing map and interpretive loop trail through the property. Please consider making a donation to make this possible!
YOU CAN DONATE TO THE QUINLAN STEWARDSHIP FUND NOW USING THE NETWORK FOR GOOD